Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Alternative Energy Plans: RT Off The Grid








I'm really not a salesman. I like to think of myself as more of a visionary, so I'm not going to spend too much time grovelling for people to invest in my land project. If you came to this blog looking for the advertised land investment opportunity Click Here. You will find all the investment information and a list of FAQs. Two spots are filled with three left to go. Things are looking good, so I've decided to move on because constantly trying to convince other people to give me money is a drag. I'm going to start laying out my vision for the property, hopefully this will start to sell itself.

Although there is municiple power available on the road, and I will likely use it as a source in the short term, I'm looking ahead to get off the grid. If anything, I want to generate surplus power and sell it back to the grid. With all the flowing water on this property, the seasonal trade winds and sunshine, There is no reason this can't be accomplished. As far as I can gather, three reliable sources for alternative power currently exist in abundance on the property; hydro, wind and solar. Over the next few posts I'll be examining each as a potential source for energy independence. Let's begin with the most obvious.

HYDRO POWER power is the harnessing of flowing water to generate elecricity. If it's the Hoover Dam, it's referred to as "hydro". In our case it's considered "mini-hydro". If there is one thing in abundance on this property it's flowing water...it's everywhwere. It will need to be harnessed to optimize the potential energy. In most cases this requires the buiding of a dam, so I've been scouting around near my home in California for small dam projects. Here in California practically all water flow (what precious little there is) is controlled through a network of aqueducts, resouviours and dams. Not that much of it is generating power, but there are many small dam projects to study and reverse engineer. I found one near my house that could be reproduced relatively easily. I'll examine this design and demonstrate the simplicity and effectiveness.
This dam is constucted from moulded poured concrete beams fitted and stacked like Lincoln Logs. The structure spans the widith of the creek, with a conduit in the center directing flow. The dam structure is built at about an 80 degree angle tilting toward the flow contributing to structural support. The top is covered in poured concrete smoothed to act as a sealant.




1.The beams are stacked about 12 levels high, producing a waterfall of about 10ft. This height is the minimum drop needed to turn turbines.





2. Interlocking "bricks" can be created by building moulds from plywood. This process can be contracted out to a local supplier, and delivered to the site upon setting. To further reduce cost, pouring and setting can be completed on site. As initial bricks are put in place, the next batch can be moulded in an "assembly line" fashion. The next level could be poured and set within a couple days in "just in time" delivery.




No comments: