Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Mares Eat Oats, Does Eat Oats, and Little Lambs Eat Ivy...


Q: What do goats eat? A: Everything in sight. Rancho Tranquilo is much more than a beauty pageant for waterfalls. However, I don't know exactly what else is there because it's mostly covered in thick brush and tall grass. Even at Latin American labor rates, it's going to cost lots of money to clear one hundred acres. I've been brainstorming lately on how I can raise capital, to begin work on infrastructure. I've also been seeking ways to reduce my expenses. After mulling this over, I may have come up with an option that potentially can alter the entire plan for Rancho Tranquilo. It involves a herd of goats and a family friend, Let's call him Jim (not his real name) who happens to live on an island in a South Pacific archipelago.

It's funny how ideas originate. They seem to develop somewhere in the deep recesses of my mind. Triggered by something trivial someone mentions in passing, then mixes with various memories and stored bits of information, until it begins to take form. Like an air bubble rising through water, the idea changes shape and form as it rises to the surface of my consciousness. Once it breaks the surface, I can't seem to shake it until I act upon the idea in some way. Usually, I need to run the idea by someone with the pertinent knowledge, to test its validity. In this case, I turned to my brother Brad's former roommate and friend. Jim has likely had various careers over the years, but his current position as Operations Manager of a certain goat dairy/farm on the slopes of a volcano, makes him the undisputed expert on the topic of goat farming on a mountain in the tropics.

I first met Jim five years ago while visiting my brother Brad on the island. Jim was in competition with two other farmhands for the coveted position of running the entire dairy operation for a couple of entrepreneurs. The objective was to create a dairy farm to produce high quality gourmet goat cheese and forge a unique "Ag-Tourism venue" on the slopes of the Volcano. Jim's laid back style, and strong work ethic naturally made him the winning candidate. Five years later, Jim has become the goat dairy maven of the South Pacific. He knows the business inside and out, from birthing kids to milking females, to making phenomenal cheese. Also packaging, marketing and distributing fresh product around the world are well within his realm of expertise. He's clearly "The Man". Last night, I spoke with Jim on Skype. He gave me a condensed tutorial on the complexities of goat farming. I, in turn, briefed him on all the wonderful things Panama has to offer. We both agreed to explore further the options and opportunities that could be achieved by working together.

Originally, I thought Montana Azul, would be the prime location for a goat farm. However, consulting with Jim, I was informed that goats need pasture space, and lots of it. Mantana Azul, although a massive piece of land, is covered mostly in pine forest. Rancho Tranquilo, with it's vast overgrown pastures, is actually more ideal for this purpose. Plus, it's on the main road, and can more easily become a tourist destination. If we could get a herd of milking goats on this property, and build a dairy facility relatively quickly. We could theoretically start a global distribution of high quality goat cheese from the mountains of Panama. Taking advantage of Panama's position as a shipping hub, I can foresee selling product in North and South American cities, from Quebec to Buenos Aires. From Vancouver to Rio de Janeiro. Rancho TranquiloTM will be a globally recognized brand in gourmet goat cheese. Even Europe and Asia are in reach due to the multitude of ships that pass through the canal each month. Bistro chefs in Tokyo, Singapore, Seoul and Shanghai will request us by name. Culinary schools from Madrid to Stockholm, and as far as Istanbul will share our name with top graduates. It's one of the many twists and turns we encounter on the road of life. You never know from what idea the next inspiration springs from, or where it will lead.


Ok. Admittedly, I'm getting a little carried away. However, If this idea can come to fruition, The immediate benefits are numerous. First, my brother's friend, Jim, will be able to further his career in dairy farming, with his own Ag-tourism venue...in Panama. Secondly, he and I could qualify for an Agriculture Visa, allowing a path to permanent residency. Third, Rancho Tranquilo can slowly be cleared of it's over grown brush. Fourth, the goat herd will be fat from all that good eat'n. Finally, Rancho Tranquilo will eventually be able to generate the needed cash flow to finance further development on the remaining land. Oh wait, I'll first need to raise capital to build the goat farm....Sigh...it's a vicious catch 22.

No comments: